Acrylic is a popular plastic available in clear and a huge variety of colours and tints. There are 2 types of acrylic extruded and cast. Extruded acrylic is softer and can scratch more easily than cast acrylic due to the way it is manufactured.
Acrylic looks like glass and is often used as an alternative because it has properties that make it superior to glass in many ways.
- It is 10 times stronger than glass making it more impact resistant and safer
- It insulates better than glass therefore potentially reducing heating bills
- It is half the weight of glass so it’s easier to work with. You can saw acrylic no need to score like with glass
- It offers excellent resistance to ultraviolet radiation and weathering
- It can bent, molded, cut, drilled, and formed. watch out for our blogs coming up on how to do this.
Common brands of high-grade acrylic include Polycast, Lucite, Plexiglass and Perspex. For a great selection of brands to suit all projects and budgets, check out The Plastic People.
We’d like to hear about the wonderful, amazing things that have been made with acrylic so let us know what you think. We will report back findings in another blog.