One thing that you should remember when you are redesigning or maintaining your garden is that you should have good edging. A good, strong barrier that separates your lawn from your garden is extremely important. You can use any material though, just make sure that the barrier is a strong one.
The array of choices can be overwhelming and each comes with merits and disadvantages. Here are some helpful factors to consider in choosing lawn edging:
1. Your garden design – this will play a part in the style of lawn edging you choose. Decide how much of the show your lawn edging can steal……or do you want a subtle choice ?
2. Climate- another likely consideration for you. Your chosen lawn edging may have to withstand sea salt, boggy shade or full sun.
3. Maintenance – how much or how little time is to be spent on maintenance of the lawn edging itself. For those looking for a no maintenance at all, this quickly narrows down the array of choices given wooden edging needs treatments.
5. Substance - is the edging you are considering substantial enough to keep grass roots and weeds from invading your beds or will you need to trim the bed border frequently ?
6. Factor in family friendly / safety – do you need a safe lawn edging in case of trips, children, pets etc ?
7. Weigh up installation – easy to install edging is usually flexible plastic edging which can look unsightly and can crack and split easily. Stone, concrete and brick can be expensive to buy and transport and laborious to install; metal edging can be dangerous if fallen on.
Plastic experts at The Plastic People have turned from plastic to rubber for lawn edging! That’s because they have found a no digging, quick to install, maintenance free solution that can be re-used time and time again. For these many reasons The Plastic People have found space between the plastic sheets to include rubber based lawn edging, Flexi-edge. This lawn edging is made from recycled tyres giving it the strength of stone with the flexibility of rubber and a very, very long life span. It’s virtually indestructible whilst looking modern and subtle. Flexi-edge is completely weather proof in all weathers and checks in at a substantial 7.5cm wide and 8cm high. It comes in 1m lengths which connect together with the connectors provided. Flexi-edge is safe: because it is made from recycled rubber there are no sharp edges or possible cuts should anyone fall onto it. Flexi-edge is easy to install(it hammers into place, no digging needed) and safe for everyone (it’s made from rubber). And it’s completely maintenance free. You can even mow over it:)
Flexi-edge hammers into the ground with stakes provided
Lengths of Flexi-edge connect easily together with pins provided so your lawn edging can be as long as you need
lawn mowers can mow straight over flexi-edge
If you are considering lawn edging and would like to see more about Flexi-edge visit The Plastic People for more information and pictures or email them for help.